H.L. Mencken quotes – I’m thinking I kind of like the way this guy expressed himself! BTW, early voting started yesterday….
- I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
- A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
- A national political campaign is better than the best circus ever heard of, with a mass baptism and a couple of hangings thrown in.
- Each party steals so many articles of faith from the other, and the candidates spend so much time making each other’s speeches, that by the time election day is past there is nothing much to do save turn the sitting rascals out and let a new gang in
- Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
- Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good.
- If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner.
- In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.